Rock Chip Repair in Victoria and Sidney
At Capital Auto Glass, we understand how bothersome it can be to have chips and cracks on your windshield. It can cause a distraction while on the road and cause your windshield to shatter on impact. For this reason, we provide prompt rock chip repair in Victoria and Sidney .
Importance of Repairing Rock Chips Right Away
Rock chips tend to get larger and cause cracking that spreads more over time. Claims must also be processed within two years of the incident to be covered by ICBC insurance. So, it is in your best interest to deal with rock chip damage immediately before a crack forms or spreads and you are forced to replace your windshield and pay a deductible.
How to Get Your Windshield Rock Chip Repaired
When you get a chip in your windshield, you should call Capital Auto Glass or drop in to one of our locations in Victoria or Sidney to see when we can fix it. Stone chip repair can usually be done in under an hour. Once you contact us we can make an appointment for it to be done within 2-3 days.
The repair usually takes 20-30 min, but then we must process the claim and take photos so we can complete the entire process within an hour. Our customers can wait in our waiting area or go for a coffee at one of the local coffee shops, and when you come back, it should be done.
Rock Chip Repair Process
We follow a straightforward process for rock chip repairs, including creating a vacuum over the damaged area. We then remove the air and moisture and inject resin to fill even the smallest microcracks. Once we remove the vacuum, we use UV light to harden the resin. We will try our hardest to repair your auto glass as swiftly as possible, and as an ICBC-approved facility, we can quickly process any relevant claims, deductibles, and taxes.
Rock chip repair is a complex process, and it is not advisable to repair the damage on your own. Doing so can damage your vehicle and compromise your safety on the road.
Types of Rock Chips
A stray stone or another object can result in several types of chips and cracks on your windshield. These include:
- Star chip: A star chip has more minor cracks emanating from the centre of the chip. Neglecting to repair a star chip can cause the cracks to spread, resulting in the need for a possible replacement.
- Batwing chip: A batwing chip has two cracks that come out in the shape of a 'V,' making it appear like a bat spreading its wings. Like the star chip, these cracks can also spread.
- Bullseye chip: This is one of the most common types of windshield cracks, characterized by a centre with damage around it, akin to a spider's web. Generally, these cracks are easy to repair.
- Combination chip: A combination chip includes a mixture of the bullseye and star chips, and bits of the glass might be missing. These chips can be challenging but not impossible to repair if you bring your car in quickly.
Please call us if you'd like to know more about crack repairs or need an estimate of rock chip repair costs in Victoria and Sidney.
What Does Rock Chip Repair Cost in BC?
Windshield rock chip repairs are free with ICBC comprehensive insurance, and you don’t have to pay a deductible. It will not cost you anything, but your time and your premiums will not increase due to a claim. If your windshield damage does not qualify for repair, the windshield must be replaced as per the BC Motor Vehicle Act.
Please note that all windshield repairs must comply with the BC Motor Vehicle Act Regulations.
What Can Be Fixed vs. What Must Be Replaced
The BC Motor Vehicle Act specifies which rock chips can be repaired and which cannot be repaired due to safety guidelines. We can repair ¼” chips or smaller in the driver critical viewing area or loonie size or smaller in most other places. Anything larger and the whole windshield needs to be replaced.
There are some other guidelines for chip repair:
- The damaged area is smaller than a loonie.
- The damage is less than ¼” in the critical viewing area.
- The damage isn’t over a heated windshield element, sensors, or camera system.
- The damage is not a previously failed repair.
- There isn't pre-existing damage, such as a long crack, which doesn't qualify for repairs.
- There is no residual damage after the repair, which is more than ¼ inch in the driver's line of vision.
- You have not exceeded the repair limit, i.e., a maximum of 3 damage areas per claim.
Talk to our team if you want to know more about our windshield chip repair or require an appointment.